I got a couple of really nice emails from some folks who were part of the DE Mini-Seminar I did out in Chicago a couple weekends ago. Thought I’d pass along the glowing endorsements.
Just a note to tell you what a great pleasure it was meeting you and attending your DE seminar at St. Luke’s last week. And what a beautiful post you wrote afterward about the experience on your website.
Quite frankly, I found the session to be a refreshing whop on the side of the head – a veritable breath of fresh air. After a lifetime of feeling guilty about not actively evangelizing in the Bible-thumping, preachy sense of the word, you helped release that pent-up guilt (and I might add, anger), and I am forever grateful for that. God bless the 10% of Christians that are gifted to evangelize in the classic sense; and thank God that the other 90% of us can do our part in a more subtle, down-to-earth way. Both are effective. Both are pleasing to the Lord.
BTW, I rented The Big Kahuna and thoroughly enjoyed it…a great study in character with lots of meaty insights. We sincerely look forward to having you back to St. Luke’s for a deep-dive in DE.
All God’s richest blessings to you and your family,
From Aristea Zekios:
I have attended many retreats, conferences, and presentations during my lifetime. Walking away I’d ask myself, “So how can I apply this to my every day Christian life?” And if I had no answer, I’d consider it a waste of time. And time is precious. I wish I had more of it! But “Doable Evangelism” was something useful; not just for me,
but for every Christian. I learned that we don’t need a theological degree or oratorical talent to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ. We can do what is ordinary and natural simply by noticing people, listening, caring, and praying. That’s what “Doable Evangelism” involves!
One of the points the speaker made was how to turn people off. As he mentioned this, I was thinking of all the persons I encountered who asked, “Are you saved?” Those three words were an immediate turnoff as the warning bell sounded in my ears. The speaker mentioned approaching others by simply asking, “How are you.” He emphasized that when we ask that question, we should stop and listen. We are to forget about our own agenda and the “I’s” and “me’s”. Instead steer the conversation around the other person. That’s not easy and
may take some practice. But it works when we genuinely care about the other person.
The speaker drew much of his presentation from the book called “Evangelism Without Additives” by Jim Henderson. Fortunately all of us from the adult Bible study class were given a copy. I highly recommend
reading this if you were unable to attend the talk. The book offers many suggestions for doable evangelism. One thought from this book stood out and struck my fancy. When we attempt something small for God – something
ordinary- it becomes extraordinary. Now that’s something I can apply in my everyday Christian walk.
I think these men really got the point, don’t you? ~Randy
April 6th, 2012 · No Comments
Categories: DE Thoughts
Comments are closed